Family

Family

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Leftovers...

What is a parent to do when this happens?

At lunch today we had BBQ grilled chicken and we knew the boys would fight us but had no idea how bad it would get.  Aaron actually ate his chicken up great, but he had other issues...we'll get to that later.  Nathan was heck bent on not eating his chicken and Chad discovered him hiding it.  I was upstairs and don't really know how this all came about but when I came downstairs I found this plate of food on the island.  OLD FOOD.  There's part of a turkey sandwich, sausage links, hamburger, chicken nugget, sugar snap peas, sweet potatoe fries, yellow pepper and a raspberry.  Funny thing here...these are all thinks he likes!  There is a ledge under our table to hold the leaf and I guess it's just perfect for stashing undesirable food...

As I was in the kitchen looking at this I peek over at Nathan and see him trying to hide more food in his napkin.  This was after he was found out!!  Oh, sweet mercy.  Chad walks back in and tells him to eat it.  A little while later we hear Aaron, "Nathan put some down there on the floor."  Huh?  Um, now Nathan has put a piece of chicken down the register!!!  Oh, sweet mercy!!!  This has got to stop.  Chad stands him up and gives him a spanking which of course erupts the loudest wails known to man kind.  Sweet.  He is told to finish his chicken and go to bed.  Which does finally happen.

Aaron.  He was some leftover hamburger to eat yet.  I swear that child chewed on one piece of hamburger until it was paste!  It took him over 5 minutes to swallow one piece of nasty over-chewed hamburger.  At one point he said he just wanted a spanking like Nathan!  "Just not as hard."  Oh, sweet mercy!  "No, eat your hamburger."  Tears.  Bed.  All of us. 

After nap time it was time to put Nathan to work.  His punishment was to clean the crud out between the cracks of the back deck floor with a putty knife.  He worked on it litterally all afternoon after his nap, about 3+ hours.  And he will be continuing this task tomorrow. 

A part of the mean Mom in me wanted to make him take a bite of each thing on that plate, but that would be just too cruel and probably make us all vomit.  A part of me also is impressed with his finding a spot to hide it.  But then I'm disappointed that he didn't toss it when we weren't looking so we'd never find it.  ha!  If only he would use his creative skills to better use! 

One thing I do pray is that when our children do something wrong, they are found out.  I don't want them going thru life thinking they can get away with things that are hurtful to others or themselves and disrespectful to others or themselves. 

Another part of me wants to say, "do you know how many starving people there are in the world!"  But this doesn't register to a 5 year old's brain quite yet.  He'd just say, "Well, let's just send it to them."  Oye vey. 

These kinds of things just get my feathers all ruffled up.  What a waste of food!  How disrespectful!  And his brother is watching him do this and learns from him.  One day we found that Aaron had stashed all his hotdogs under his booster seat.  Monkey see, monkey do.

Why do meal times have to be such a battle?  Does anyone else have these problems?  I know the day will come when they devour everything in sight....or will they??

No comments: