Family

Family

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Early Thirties

So, I have resigned to the fact that I am now in my early 30's. For some strange reason saying I was in my late 20's seemed so much better... Not that I have a huge issue with aging (except for the gray hair, wrinkles, crows feet and aching joints). I actively choose to believe that I will only get "better" with age. My hope and prayer is that I grow in wisdom, humility and a tender heart toward God and others.

Last Thursday Mark and Jen Phillips arrived to stay the night and we all headed to George's for some dinner. Chad didn't get to stay long b/c he had to meet a group at the library for an hour. Meanwhile the rest of us took a drive around Pella so Mark and Jen could see the changes around town and then met back up with Chad and headed over to Dan DeCook's house to celebrate his birthday.

Friday morning we got up and headed to Windmill Cafe for a yummy breakfast, trip to Jaarsma Bakery, Smokey Row and to the Hopkins' house for some good fun! Mark & Jen left around lunch time and Nathan and I headed to nap time. While it was successful for Nathan it certainly was not for me.
I hadn't been feeling the greatest that day and started having lots of contractions and started cramping pretty bad. I finally called Chad and told him we'd need to head into the OB after I tried to hold them off as long as I could. Having the contractions are nothing new - but they were pretty painful and the cramping was concerning me - so in we went around 5:30 that night. They put me on the monitor and they were slowing down to 8-10 minutes apart which was good. They gave me a shot of the oh-so-unfriendly terbutaline which makes you shake like a crack addict hard up for a hit (not that I would know of course - but that's the best depiction I've got). They then found I had a very slight urinary tract infection which could be causing the cramping. So slight in fact my Dr. said he wouldn't normally put me on anything except for that I'm pregnant...ooookkkay. After a few hours we headed home and to bed. I was looking forward to the next morning!!
Saturday morning - Birthday Morning! Sleeping in...aaaahhhhh! Chad made me a delicious breakfast in bed and he and Nathan came up to sing Happy Birthday to me and deliver their presents. Such sweet boys! We all got ready and headed up to Des Moines for lunch at Gateway Market - one of my favorite places to eat in Des Moines. They have the best salads and kids eat free on the weekends. We made a trip to Lowe's that just about pushed everyone over the edge since it took 2 hours with a toddler screaming and in desperate need of a nap. I don't recommend this one on your birthday. Hire a babysitter and make the hubby go by himself while you go to the spa or stay in bed! The day drastically improved at 6:30 when we met up with friends for dinner that night at the Latin Bistro in Pella. That was a fabulous time! It started to get a bit difficult to carry on a conversation once the piano player was done and the live band started. It certainly would have be different perhaps if the band was actually enjoyable but....they weren't.

The lovely couple: Matt & Rochelle Dunsbergen

Josh & Lindsay Steenhoek Tom & Wendy Vander Well:

I didn't get a picture of Jen and Justin Parker actually together b/c they ended up sitting across from each other at the table. The one I got of Jen cracks me up though b/c she was telling everyone how "the rice and beans are so great!"
It was so hot in the restaurant that a nice fanning was in order for the birthday girl.
After dinner we headed over to Smokey Row for some dessert and a place where we could hear one another speak. It was a GREAT evening to spend with dear friends that I love. THANK YOU so much Jen for arranging it all! You are awesome and dearly loved! We headed back to our house to find three kiddos in pj's still ready to party at 10pm and two very tired babysitters! All in all, it was a great birthday - but I don't think anything could compare to the extravaganza that Chad pulled off last year - it was SUPREME honey! But I appreciate every little thing that you do and how you love me - that is what I hold dearest to my heart. I love you!

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

Hope you're feeling better! Sounds like (minus that & the Lowes trip) you had a wonderful birthday!

I enjoy that band, but it was very difficult to converse over it.