Family

Family

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Look Who's 2!

We celebrated Nathan's 2nd birthday on Saturday and had a blast! To be honest though, I am glad the weekend is behind us! Between getting the house ready, the food ready and pictures taken I was beat. But it was all worth it and I'll do it over and over again b/c I love seeing the smile on my child's face and hearing him say, "Thank you Mommy, I love you." So what if my fingers are still cramped up from that cake!

I've made this cake one other time for Ethan Dunsbergen so I figured, yeah - no big deal. Okay - my hands must have been on steroids that day because on Friday night I wanted to cry. It's no wonder old women walk around with arthritic fingers - they were decorating these blasted cakes for their kids! But it's all worth it! So what if we end up with those crazy looking fingers that remind me of a the wicked witch.

I didn't quite know what he was going to do with his cake this year. Would he tear into it like last year? I didn't really think ahead on this one. But boy was I surprised! He didn't really know what to do either. He bent down to lick it and then bite it first.
Then he actually kissed the cake!





After kissing the cake he asked for a fork. Can you believe that?! A fork! Of course he thought scraping the frosting off was better at first - then he finally dug into the cake.


Nathan decided it was pretty good stuff.


Opening presents was a hoot and he was incredibly blessed by his friends and family! I love his perplexed or contemplative expressions when he opens them up. After every present though he would look at me and say, "Can we open now?"
Nathan loves his new Mr. Fix It shirt from the Parkers!

Nathan got his very first Big Wheel from Grandma Vicky and Papa Truck! We've already enjoyed many rides thru the neighborhood and to the park on it.

I love how he puts his hand on his hip wondering what he's looking at. He got a Thomas the Train track and freight cars from Brady Steenhoek which meant that Brady got a big ol hug!

Nathan loves his Big Book of Tractors from Grandma Kris and Papa Tractor !Ms. Natalie is one of Nathan's Day Care teachers, baby sitters and favorite lady at nursery. He loves her dearly and she just loves on him so wonderfully! Nathan has loved playing with the race cars and track she got for him. He is really looking forward to his outing to the pool or playground with her!
Riley even got a big ol hug and Nathan got some kisses in return!

The overalls from Auntie Heather and Uncle Seth were a big hit! He is really looking forward to his day at Living History Farms! He will even be wearing his new John Deere cowboy boots from Mommy and Daddy!One of the cutest parts of the whole party was when we put some of the kids in the wagon pulled behind Grandpa Ron's new 3 Wheeler. Nathan, Jarret, Brady and Chloe all went for a ride and I was mighty impressed with how Nathan was so concerned that Jarret sit back and not fall over. Too funny! Our camera was having the fits so I didn't get any photos of it but Heather and Seth did (you can see it on their blog). The kiddos had a fun time playing on the swing set and Nathan had a blast chasing Riley all thru the yard laughing hysterically over it all.


Chad and I couldn't be prouder of our Nathan J. He is growing up so fast and I honestly can't believe that he is 2 years old! I remember bringing him home from the hospital not knowing what to do with him and not sure how much I liked having my life change so drastically. But now I cannot imagine my life without him! I would not laugh as much, love as much, cry as much or even care as much if it were not for him.


Nathan, My Sweets, I love you and pray God's sweet and tender mercies over you. I pray for the day when you truly accept Jesus into your heart fully knowing how much Jesus loves you and what he did for you on the cross. I pray that your heart would also break for people and that you would love them with a tender heart and fiercely protect yours all the days of your life. Mommy and Daddy will not be able to protect from the evils of this world, so we pray that we would help equip you with the tools to fight off the evil one so that you will ride into heaven victoriously! We love you more than words can say and pray that we show you Jesus everday.

A HUGE thank you to all our friends and family who so generously love on Nathan in so many ways! You all are incredibly special to him and to Chad and I as well. We know that he is being covered in prayer and loving and encouraging words. We thank you!

2 comments:

the_comforts said...

The party was a blast and a half! We had so much fun....and your house looks great!

Lorraine said...

the old lady fingers will be worth it ... I can remember (starting with my 4th or 5th birthday!) the cakes my mom decorated for me & I still think of all the love poured into them to this day!