Family

Family

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Dam to Dam

Last weekend Chad & I ran the Dam to Dam 20k while Aaron & Nathan played with Grandma Doreen and Papa Brent. Saturday night we ate at Red Rosa (yummy!) with Grandma & Papa and Uncle Seth & Aunt Heather. Afterwards we headed to Ankeny for some fun family time before hitting the hay.
Aaron was all smiles for Aunt Heather

One of Aaron's favorite things to do is hang upside down

Uncle Seth & Aaron were discussing why Aaron wasn't in the family picture in the background.
I think Nathan was up getting his bath - hence for photos of him...

Once we got the kiddos settled Chad & I headed to Heather & Seth's to sleep since Seth was running as well the next morning. They were excited to show off their new tandem bike and we got to take it for a whirl down the street. Such fun!The next morning we up at 4:20 am to eat and prep for the race. Unfortunately it was already sprinkling. When we left the house it had let up and we thought we might be in the clear. Heather was a rock star and drove our sorry selves downtown to catch the bus that took us out to Saylorville Dam. When we were on the bus it started to full-fledged rain. The most annoying thing was walking across the dam with the wind and rain whipping around completely drenching us. Nothing like being completely soaked thru before you even start the race. It was humorous to us that guys kept walking around telling us to get out from under the trees and get as close to the ground as possible if it started to lightning. Oh, and don't stand close to the wires on the dam. Yeah - good one.

The race finally started at 7am and we were off! Not quite as fast as Seth though! It took us about 6 minutes before we even crossed the starting line. Here's Seth (in the white jersey) making great strides!



Heather was awesome and stood out in the rain cheering us on! I think this was about mile 3 and we were feeling great! Still getting rained on, but I felt like it made me go a bit faster b/c I really wanted to get done and didn't enjoy the pelts of water in my face. I was so glad to be running with Chad - he's a great encourager and spurs me on! Here we are so close to the end and can see the finish line!! Seth did such an awesome job and finished in 1:15 - Way to Go!!! We love running races with Seth and spending time with him & Heather the world's best spectator armed with her camera and cow bell!
Once we reached the end of the race I was struck with how this distance was only 1/2 of what we will be facing in October when we run the Chicago Marathon. Oh, dear - what have I signed up for? But I am determined and am going to be running with the most amazing running partner!! I love you Chad!
Here's our running breakdown - you can definitely tell where we had some potty stops (Chad!) I did have one and you can tell how a girl can't really just pee behind the porto-pots.
Mile 1 - 10:45 - had to weave around people like crazy!
Mile 2 - 9:14
Mile 3 - 9:21
Mile 4 - 9:30
Mile 5 - 9:38 - finally stopped raining
Mile 6 - 9:52
Mile 7 - 10:29
Mile 8 - 10:49 - Shay
Mile 9 - 9:47
Mile 10 - 10:10 - Chad pulling Shay up some hills
Mile 11 - 10:13 - another hill
Mile 12 - 9:46
.4 - 3.43
Done in 2:03:30

1 comment:

the_comforts said...

You guys did great...so stinkin proud of you both!
Chicago or bust....