Family

Family

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Art Filled Saturday: Day 3

Saturday was a much anticipated day for me. We were headed to the Musee d'Orsay. It holds all the most fabulous impressionist paintings from artists such as: Degas, Renoir, Van Gogh, Monet, Manet, etc... This girl was in heaven!! It was truly spectacular to stand in front of works of art I've studied and admired for years and never thought I'd ever get the chance to see with my own eyes. Magnificent! The building itself is quite amazing. The museum is in an old train station. We took pictures of some of our favorites: first up - Degas


Renoir favorites:

I'm not a huge fan of Monet - but do appreciate this one:

Now, if you don't know who this is or these works - we need to talk to your history or art teacher growing up!
After the Musee d'Orsay we went on a hunt for lunch. It was the most work we've encountered trying to find a meal in quite some time! Chad finally left me sitting on a bench while he scouted out some food and found a beautiful park along the way where we sat with a view of the Eiffel Tower. One of our favorite treats in Paris are the fruit tarts. Amazing!After lunch we headed to the Rodin Museum (famous sculpter) and admired the grounds almost more than the sculptures. I'm sure you will recognize one of them:

Chad always kept me well entertained when I started to get tired!


After Rodin, we sat at a little cafe and enjoyed some coffee and hot cocoa to warm up and dry off since it has started sprinkling. Lastly we visited Napolean's tomb, caught a glimpse of some dudes dressed in their military garb, strolled thru a fabulous market are picked up a baguette, assortment of cheese, some jam and dessert to take back to the hotel for dinner.

It was a long day full of walking, great art and yummy food with the one I love!

3 comments:

roduns said...

Loving your pictures! However, my art teacher must have failed me b/c I have NO idea what those works were ...

Pella VL's said...

What?! I'm astounded! Oh, well ;) It's Vincent Van Gogh.

Lorraine said...

I actually prefer Monet to Van Gogh, but to each their own :) - I once got to go to the National Art Museum in DC - it's so amazing to see the details in works of art in person!

I am with you about the sculpture's museum - the grounds are breathtaking!